Andrew has been involved in some of the leading recent IP cases including Unwired Planet v Huawei (FRAND), the Abbvie litigation (Arrow declarations), Idenix v. Gilead (priority), Assos v ASOS (own name defence), NLA v Meltwater (copyright) and Servier v Apotex (Illegality defence). Legal 500 called him a “go-to choice for high value cases”. Andrew also regularly appears at the EPO.
Patents & SPCs
- Unwired Planet v Huawei  EWHC 2988: The first contested FRAND trial in the UK.
- Idenix v Gilead  EWCA Civ 1089: Patent priority and the law of plausibility and sufficiency.
- Sanofi v Actavis (C-443/12): SPC covering irbesartan and hydrochlorthiazide.
- AstraZeneca v Krka  EWHC 84 &  EWCA Civ 484: Damages on a cross-undertaking. One of the highest ever damages awards on a cross-undertaking in the UK patent field.
- SEB v Jarden  EWCA Civ 1629: Patent construction in light of claim numerals.
Copyright & Databases
- NLA v Meltwater  UKSC 18: Supreme Court judgment on the application of the temporary copying exemption as applied to the internet.
Trade marks & Brands
- Conair v Philips: Unregistered design right and patent case concerning hair curling devices.
- Rolawn v Turfmech  EWHC 989 (Pat): Registered and unregistered design concerning large area mowers.
IT & Telecoms Disputes
- Unwired Planet v Huawei  EWHC 2988 (Pat): UK’s first FRAND trial.
- SSH v Sony Mobile Communications  EWHC 2584: Patent case concerning Sony’s Xperia phones
- HTC v Apple  EWHC 1789: Patent case concerning Apple’s patent protection for the “swipe to unlock” feature and “photo bounce back”.
- Education & awards
- First Class Honours, Bristol 1990.
- Attended Law School 1990-1992
- Qualified as a solicitor 1994
- IP Partner at Bristows 2000-2004
- Called to the bar (Middle Temple) 2004
- Queen’s Counsel 2014
- Professional memberships
- Member of Middle Temple
Contact Andrew Lykiardopoulos QC's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.