Our aim is to recruit the very best pupils who will stand an excellent chance of being offered tenancy. We recruit junior tenants from our own pupils. 8 New Square offers up to two 12 month pupillages annually with an award of £55,000. This sum is made up of a pupillage award of £27, 500, during the 1st six months and an earnings guarantee of £27,500 during the 2nd six months.
Much of the work of chambers is technical in nature and for this reason we only take pupils who have demonstrated an aptitude for and interest in this sort of work. Most members of chambers and pupils have a science qualification to degree level or higher, but this is not mandatory: many successful intellectual property practitioners and judges studied other subjects. However, applicants without a science degree will have to demonstrate in some other way that they have the ability and confidence to cope with technical/scientific subject matter.
Pupillage is structured as set out in our pupillage guidance notes. Generally pupils will sit with one member of chambers for a three month period then move to a new pupil supervisor for a further 3 month period. There is facility to move to other members of chambers who have particularly interesting cases. We are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for members, staff, pupils, mini pupils, prospective tenants and prospective pupils and we are equal opportunities employers.
Pupillage Gateway Application
8 New Square is a member of Pupillage Gateway, the online pupillage application scheme promoted by our professional body, the Bar Council. Any applications for pupillage at 8 New Square must be made to us via Pupillage Gateway.
Further information regarding the scheme is available from the General Council of the Bar, or from Pupillage Gateway, where you can find the following information:
- How to apply for a pupillage.
- Browse a list of ALL pupillage vacancies in England and Wales.
- View Chambers information.
- Apply to those chambers that have signed up to Pupillage Gateway.
- Find out how to apply to those chambers that are outside of Pupillage Gateway.
- Find information on chambers offering mini-pupillages
Pupillage Interview Process
- Our first round interviews last for about 25 minutes. Applicants will face a panel of barristers and the Chambers Director and the interview will be a relaxed question and answer discussion.
- The second round interview will last for an hour and will consist of half an hour to study a legal problem, the answer to which is then presented before a different panel of approximately four barristers and the Chambers Director. The problem does not assume or require any prior IP knowledge.
- In the rare event that we require a third round, it will similarly consist of the study of a legal problem and then the presentation of the solution. This problem will be more technical in nature.
Any prospective candidates who wish to apply for pupillage but are unsure of the current position are welcome to contact our Business Development Manager Harri Gibson who will be happy to assist.