Ashton specialises in all areas of intellectual property law, such as patents, copyright, trade marks, passing off, registered and unregistered designs, as well as related areas such as contract law and breach of confidence. Ashton has also acted in a number of cases that involve aspects of competition law and has also been involved in a number of arbitrations. Ashton has considerable experience in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and appears in the High Court. She also regularly acts for clients at hearings and for appeals in the IPO and the EUIPO.
Ashton won Junior IP Barrister of the Year at the 2020 Managing IP Awards.
Trade marks & Brands
- Glaxo Wellcome UK Ltd (t/a Allen and Hanburys) v Sandoz Ltd  EWHC 2545 (Ch): Ashton is acting as a junior in a passing off case on asthma inhalers/pharmaceuticals
- Lifestyle Equities CV & Others v Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club Ltd. & Othrs  EWHC 3552 (Ch): Ashton is acting as junior for the Defendants in a case relating to trade mark infringement.
- Burgerista GmbH v UK Prosper Limited  EWHC 35 (IPEC): IPEC trial relating to the infringement and validity of the EU trade mark BURGERISTA.
- Slimming World v Asda (2017): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the claimant, Slimming World, in a trade mark infringement and passing off case relating to slimming programs.
- Dallas Burston v Star Pharmaceuticals Ltd (2017): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the claimant in a parallel imports case relating to importation of a pharmaceutical product into the UK.
- Mattel Inc v JW Spear & Sons Ltd  EWHC 3345 (Ch): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the defendant in a partial summary judgment application for invalidity of the claimants’ Community Trade Mark for a tile used in the claimant’s board game Scrabble.
Copyright & Databases
- Nicholas Martin v Julia Kogan  EWHC 2927 (IPEC) and  EWHC 3266 (IPEC) (Costs) and  EWCA Civ 1645 : Ashton acted as junior at first instance and in the appeal of a copyright dispute over the rights in a screenplay for the recent major film “Florence Foster Jenkins”. Ashton is currently acting in the retrial of the case in the IPEC.
- Mei Fields Designs Ltd v Saffron Cards and Gifts Ltd and another EWHC 1332 (IPEC): Ashton represented the claimant in a case relating to copyright in greeting card designs
- The Racing Partnership v Betfred/Ladbrokes (2017): Ashton was instructed for the claimant in cases relating to copyright and database rights in horse racing betting data.
- T & A Textiles Hosiery Limited v Hala Textile UK Limited  EWHC 2888 IPEC: Ashton appeared for the Defendants in this case which related to copyright in bedding
- Scott Tynan v J4k Sports  EWHC 3519 (Ch): Ashton acted for the Claimant in a case relating to design rights in goal keeping gloves.
- Madine (t/a Nico) & Anor v Phillips (t/a Leanne Alexandra) & ors EWHC 3268 (IPEC) and  EWHC 3418 (IPEC) (Costs): IPEC trial relating to the infringement of design rights in wedding dresses as featured on “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding”.
- Christine Kendall v (1) Sarah Burton (2) Alexander McQueen (2016): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the Claimant in a design right infringement case relating to Kate Middleton’s royal wedding dress.
Patents & SPCs
- Icescape v Ice-World International BV  EWCA Civ 2219: Ashton acted in this appeal in respect of a patent relating to ice skating rinks. This case was the first application by the Court of Appeal of the judgement in Actavis v Eli Lily  UKSC 48
- Saunders and Dolleymore v Keter Plastic Ltd O/350/17 – GB2389594 (IPO): represented the patentee in a revocation hearing
- Manitowoc Beverage Systems Limited & Messrs. Scott O/019/14 – GB2471159 (IPO): Ashton represented the patentee in a revocation hearing at the IPO.
Trade Secrets & Confidentiality
- Ferro Corporation v Prince International Corporation: Acting for the claimants in a breach of confidence dispute about colourants for glass compounds – trial due to be heard in 2021
- Superdry v Jack Wills Ltd: Acted for the claimant in a case relating to breach of confidence
- TNQ Technologies v Focal Image: Acted for the claimant in a case relating to breach of confidence
- Education & awards
BSC (Joint Honours), University of Bristol, Chemistry and Law (2005)
- Other relevant information
Accredited ADR Group Mediator
- Professional memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Bar Association
- Hobbies & interests
- Sport: Competitive sailing, horse riding, scuba diving, skiing
- Hobbies: Travelling, music, dressmaking, art
- French (fluent)
Contact Ashton Chantrielle's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.