Ashton specialises in all areas of intellectual property law, such as patents, copyright, trade marks, passing off, registered and unregistered designs, as well as related areas such as contract law and breach of confidence. Ashton has also acted in a number of cases that involve aspects of competition law and has also been involved in a number of arbitrations.
Patents & SPCs
- Icescape v Ice-World International BV  EWCA Civ 2219: appeal in respect of a patent relating to ice skating rinks
- Saunders and Dolleymore v Keter Plastic Ltd O/350/17 – GB2389594 (IPO): represented the patentee in a revocation hearing
- Manitowoc Beverage Systems Limited & Messrs. Scott O/019/14 – GB2471159 (IPO): Ashton represented the patentee in a revocation hearing at the IPO.
Copyright & Databases
- Nicholas Martin v Julia Kogan  EWHC 2927 (IPEC) and  EWHC 3266 (IPEC) (Costs): Ashton is currently involved in the appeal of a copyright dispute over the rights in a screenplay for the recent major film “Florence Foster Jenkins”.
- Mei Fields Designs Ltd v Saffron Cards and Gifts Ltd and another EWHC 1332 (IPEC): Ashton represented the claimant in a case relating to copyright in greeting card designs
- The Racing Partnership v Betfred/Ladbrokes (2017): Ashton was instructed for the claimant in cases relating to copyright and database rights in horse racing betting data.
- T & A Textiles Hosiery Limited v Hala Textile UK Limited  EWHC 2888 IPEC: Ashton appeared for the Defendants in this case which related to copyright in bedding
Trade marks & Brands
- Glaxo Wellcome UK Ltd (t/a Allen and Hanburys) v Sandoz Ltd (ongoing): Ashton is acting as a junior in a passing off case on asthma onhalers/pharmaceuticals
- Burgerista GmbH v UK Prosper Limited  EWHC 35 (IPEC): IPEC trial relating to the infringement and validity of the EU trade mark BURGERISTA.
- Slimming World v Asda (2017): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the claimant, Slimming World, in a trade mark infringement and passing off case relating to slimming programs.
- Dallas Burston v Star Pharmaceuticals Ltd (2017): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the claimant in a parallel imports case relating to importation of a pharmaceutical product into the UK.
- Mattel Inc v JW Spear & Sons Ltd  EWHC 3345 (Ch): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the defendant in a partial summary judgment application for invalidity of the claimants’ Community Trade Mark for a tile used in the claimant’s board game Scrabble.
- Scott Tynan v J4k Sports: Ashton is currently acting for the Claimant in a case relating to design rights of goal keeping gloves
- Madine (t/a Nico) & Anor v Phillips (t/a Leanne Alexandra) & ors EWHC 3268 (IPEC) and  EWHC 3418 (IPEC) (Costs): IPEC trial relating to the infringement of design rights in wedding dresses as featured on “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding”.
- Christine Kendall v (1) Sarah Burton (2) Alexander McQueen (2016): Ashton acted as junior counsel for the Claimant in a design right infringement case relating to Kate Middleton’s royal wedding dress.
Trade Secrets & Confidentiality
- Superdry v Jack Wills Ltd: Ashton is currently acting for the claimant in a case relating to breach of confidence
- TNQ Technologies v Focal Image: Ashton is currently acting for the claimant in a case relating to breach of confidence
- Education & awards
BSC (Joint Honours), University of Bristol, Chemistry and Law (2005)
- Other relevant information
Accredited ADR Group Mediator
- Professional memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Bar Association
- Hobbies & interests
- Sport: Competitive sailing, horse riding, scuba diving, skiing
- Hobbies: Travelling, music, dressmaking, art
Contact Ashton Chantrielle's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.