Charlotte is a strong team leader, with an inclusive style that makes every member of the team feel respected and appreciated. With a background in biochemistry, she has an eye for detail without losing a clear strategic overview and is particularly good at devising litigation strategies commensurate with clients’ commercial objectives.
Charlotte was described as a “female QC trailblazer” in Managing Intellectual Property’s 50 Most Influential People in IP 2019. Charlotte led the first all-female QC team in a patent trial at the High Court, successfully acting for the Defendants in Conversant v Apple.
Patents & SPCs
- Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd v Flexicare Medical Ltd  EWHC 3282 (Pat); infringement and validity of patent relating to breathing tubes; lead counsel for defendants.
- Teva UK Limited v Chiesi Farmaceutici SpA  EWHC 1311 (Pat): application to strike out a claim for quia timet patent infringement; application refused; lead counsel for defendants.
- Master Data Centre v Comptroller General of Patents  EWHC 572 (Pat);  EWCA Civ 475 (sub nom Genentech Inc v Comptroller General of Patents); application to rectify expiry date of SPC; application refused; counsel for claimant.
- Conversant v Apple  EWHC 3266 (Pat): alleged patent infringement and validity of a user interface for a smart phone; patent invalid for obviousness; lead counsel for defendant.
- Sandoz v Searle  EWHC 987 (Pat);  EWCA Civ 49: interpretation of Art 3(a) SPC Regulation. Reference to CJEU heard together with Royalty Pharma reference C-650/17; case settled after AG opinion but before judgment.
- Teva v Merck  EWHC 539 (Pat): validity of SPC under Art 3(a) and Art 3(c) SPC Regulation; SPC invalid; lead counsel for claimants.
- Accord v Medac  EWHC 24 (Pat): validity of formulation patent; patent invalid; lead counsel for defendant.
- Unwired Planet v Huawei & Ors  EWHC 3366 (Pat): validity and infringement of mobile phone standard essential patent; patent valid and infringed; lead counsel for second defendant.
- Warner Lambert v Actavis  EWHC 2548 (Pat): infringement of second medical use claim; lead counsel for claimant.
Copyright & Databases
Trade marks & Brands
- Cartier v BT  UKSC 28: costs of blocking injunctions.
- Walton International v Verweij Fashion  EWHC 1608 (Ch): infringement; non-use; bad faith; earlier rights; counterclaim in passing off; honest concurrent use; abuse of process.
- FIL Ltd v Fidelis Underwriting Ltd  EWHC 1097 (Pat): infringement; non-use; descriptiveness; bad faith; services with insufficient clarity or precision
- Thomas Pink v Victoria’s Secret  EWHC 2631: infringement; non-use; acquired distinctiveness; passing off.
- Christine Kendall Couture Ltd v Alexander McQueen : allegations of design right infringement in respect of wedding dress design.
IT & Telecoms Disputes
- Unwired Planet v Huawei & Ors  EWHC 3366 (Pat): validity and infringement of mobile phone standard essential patent.
Internet Law & Cybersecurity
Jurisdiction & Remedies
- Cartier International v BT  UKSC 28; Cartier International v British Sky Broadcasting  EWHC 3354 (Ch);  EWCA Civ 658: whether court had jurisdiction to grant blocking injunctions.
- Walton International v Verweij Fashion  EWHC 1608 (Ch): whether notice of discontinuance an abuse of process.
- Celltrion Inc v Biogen Idec Inc  EWHC 188 (Pat): listing patent trial within 12 months of issue of claim even before CMC.
- Thomas Pink v Victoria’s Secret  EWHC 3258 (Ch): costs recovery in respect of budgeted costs.
Media, Sport & Entertainment
Charlotte has a portfolio of loyal media clients. She regularly advises on TV format disputes.
Arbitration & Mediation
Charlotte has represented clients in a number of confidential mediations. They have all resulted in a mediated settlement. She has also undertaken the Bar Council Mediation training.
- Education & awards
- Biochemistry, Brasenose College Oxford (2:1)
- Diploma in Law, City University (with Commendation)
- Professional memberships
- Bar Council Wellbeing Committee Member
- ChBA Wellbeing and CSR Committee Member
- ITMA Copyright and Designs Committee Member
- Chair of Chambers’ Equality, Diversity and Wellbeing committee
- Member of ChBA, ITMA, IPBA
- Other relevant information
- Hobbies & interests
- Eating out
Contact Charlotte May QC's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.