Henry’s practice covers many aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, copyright and designs, trade marks and confidential information. His background is in engineering, and particularly civil, mechanical, petroleum and offshore engineering, but he deals with a wide range of technical subject matter. Henry’s practice has covered almost all areas of both “hard” and “soft” IP cases – from biotech and electronic patents cases to reality TV disputes. He has appeared in all UK forums up to and including the Court of Appeal, and has experience of the Supreme Court and the European Patent Office both in the Opposition Division and the Technical Board of Appeal. He has also advised on and represented clients at numerous mediations and a recent major arbitration.
Patents & SPCs
- Freebit v Bose  EWHC 889 (Pat): infringement and validity of patent for in-ear headphones.
- Cantel v Arc  EWHC 345 (Pat): infringement and validity of patent regarding colonscopy scope covers.
- Napp v Dr Reddys  EWCA Civ 1053: infringement of pharmaceutical claims and numerical ranges .
- Focus v Novartis  EWCA Civ 1295: validity of patent regarding transdermal rivastigmine patches .
- Compact GTL v Velocys  EWHC 2951 (Pat): infringement and validity of patent for Fischer Tropsch process.
Trade marks & Brands
- GNIC v NBTY  EWCA Civ 1586: trade mark licensing dispute about health and wellness products and sports nutrition branding.
- Doosan v Babcock  EWHC 1364 (Ch): trade mark licensing dispute about nuclear power station services.
- Flynn Pharma v DrugsRUs: Parallel import case about the importation of branded generics.
Arbitration & Mediation
- Luxi v Dow (2017): major international arbitration about confidential information relating to chemical plants .
- Education & awards
- BA Hons
- MEng- Engineering, Emmanuel College, Cambridge
Contact Henry Ward's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.