He has wide experience in all areas of IP, including patents, trade marks and passing off, copyright, designs and confidential information.
James is particularly well-known for his work in high-tech patent litigation, in fields such as telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, advanced medical devices and engineering. Clients particularly appreciate his strategic focus on their business objectives, whether by litigation or otherwise.
Patents & SPCs
- Evalve v Edwards Lifesciences  FSR 4,  EWHC 513 (Pat),  EWHC 514 (Pat): medical devices patents, including public interest defence and interim injunction.
- Boehringer v Generics  FSR 21: pre-action disclosure in pharmaceutical patent case.
- Parainen Pearl v KGJS  RPC 8: exhaustion of rights, right to repair and implied licence in relation to sale of a shipwreck.
- Magnesium Elektron v Neo  FSR 11: patent for manufacture or rare-earth mixed oxides.
- Philips v Asustek  EWCA Civ 1526,  EWCA Civ 2230: mobile telecoms patent litigation, including licensing issues.
- Varian v Elekta  EWHC 712 (Pat): patent for a combined MRI and Linear Accelerator.
- NAPP v Dr Reddy’s  RPC 5: patent for a buprenorphine transdermal patch.
Copyright & Databases
- Coward v Phaestos  EWHC 1292 (Ch): dispute over ownership of software for automated hedge fund trading.
- B4U v PRS  EWCA Civ 1236: copyright in songs used in Bollywood musicals.
- Destra v Comada  EWHC 1575 (Pat): trial of the issue of ownership of copyright in software for financial trading.
- Baigent v Random House  EWCA Civ 247,  EWHC 719 (Ch): the Da Vinci Code copyright infringement case.
- BHB v William Hill  EWCA Civ 863: first UK database right claim, concerning horseracing fixtures.
Trade marks & Brands
- Beauty Bay Ltd & Anor v Benefit Cosmetics Ltd  FSR 24,  FSR 31: trade mark infringement relating cosmetics
- Frank Industries v Nike  FSR 35: trade mark infringement action concerning Nike’s “Nothing beats a Londoner” campaign.
- P&G v Star Global  RPC 19: parallel imports of beauty products.
- IPC Media v Media 10  EWCA Civ 1439: dispute over concurrent uses of the IDEAL HOME trade mark.
- Total v YouView  EWHC 1963 (Ch): trade mark infringement action concerning set-top boxes.
- Numatic v Qualtex  EWHC 1237 (Ch): passing off claim relating to the shape of the famous “Henry” vacuum cleaner.
- Clinisupplies v Park  EWHC 3453 (Ch): design right in catheter packs – when a design is too general to be protected.
- Numerous claims for design right infringement involving clothing, for and against retailers such as Primark, Principles, Mango and others.
Trade Secrets & Confidentiality
- Celgard v Shenzhen Senior  EWHC 2072 (Ch),  EWCA Civ 1293: confidential processes for battery separator film.
- Hi-Level v Levine  EWHC 1882 (Ch): ex-employee breach of confidence claim.
- Coward v Phaestos  EWHC 1292 (Ch): confidentiality in software for automated hedge fund trading.
IT & Telecoms Disputes
- IPCOM v Xiaomi  EWHC 3074 (Pat): application for interim injunction in respect of standards essential patent.
- Sony v SSH  EWHC 2584 (Pat): patent for Internet networking address translation.
- Unwired Planet v Huawei: complex, multi-trial claim for infringement of mobile telecoms patents.
- IPCOM v HTC  EWCA Civ 90: mobile telecoms patent for random access.
- Rovi v Virgin Media  EWCA Civ 781,  EWCA Civ 1214: patents for cable television technology.
- TCT v Ericsson  FSR 31: mobile telecoms patents.
Jurisdiction & Remedies
- Celgard v Shenzhen Senior  EWHC 2072 (Ch),  EWCA Civ 1293: jurisdiction of English court over claim for misuse of trade secrets in China.
- Shenzhen Carku v NOCO  EWHC 2014 (Pat): interim declaration of non-infringement in a patent case, summary judgment procedure
- Parainen Pearl v KGJS  EWHC 2570 (Pat): jurisdiction of the Court to grant Europe-wide declarations of non-infringement.
- Sony v SSH  WLR 186: post-trial variation of costs budgets in patent litigation.
- Coward v Phaestos  EWCA Civ 1256: effects of offer to settle outside Part 36 CPR.
- Teva v Amgen  EWHC 3711 (Pat): claim for declaration of non-infringement against company other than the owner of the patent.
- Xena v Cantideck  EWPCC 1: damages inquiry for patent infringement.
Arbitration & Mediation
- EDO Corp v Ultra Electronics  2 Lloyd’s Rep 349: availability of pre-action disclosure in an arbitration claim.
- Education & awards
- BA, MA, Law, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford (1992-95)
- Bachelor of Civil Law, St Anne’s College, University of Oxford (1995-96)
- St Anne’s College Law Prize (1995, 1996)
- Gray’s Inn Scholarship (1997)
- Professional memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Bar Association
- Gray’s Inn
- Hobbies & interests
- Watching and playing football and cricket
- Long walks that end in a pub
Contact James Abrahams QC's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.