Since joining Chambers in 2017 he has been instructed alongside senior members of Chambers in major patent actions ranging from pharmaceuticals to mobile technology and FRAND. He has also been instructed both as junior and as sole counsel on a wide range of trade mark, copyright and passing off matters.
Patents & SPCs
- Silence Therapeutics Gmbh v Alnylam UK Ltd & Ors: instructed as second junior with Daniel Alexander QC and Isabel Jamal in an ongoing action concerning RNA interference therapeutics.
- Regen Lab SA v Estar Medical Ltd (judgement pending): appeared as sole junior with Andrew Lykiardopoulos QC in a dispute concerning a patent for a method of blood plasma preparation
- Conversant Wireless Licensing S.a.r.l v Apple Retail UK Lrd & Ors: Instructed as junior to James Mellor QC, and appeared as sole junior on a service out application, in an ongoing dispute concerning patents for mobile technology.
- TEVA UK Ltd v Novartis Pharma AG (settled): assisted in preparing expert evidence in an action concerning a patent for the drug Imatinib.
- Positec Power Tools (Europe) Ltd v Husqvarna AB  EWHC 3009 (Pat) (settled): assisted during pupillage in preparation for trial and attended at CMC and PTRs in this patent action concerning automatic lawnmowers, which settled out of court
Copyright & Databases
- British Broadcasting Company/BBC Worldwide Ltd v Mechanical Copyright Protection Society Ltd/Performing Right Society Ltd (ITV and Sky Intervening)  CT 129/16: Appeared as sole junior alongside Martin Howe QC behalf of Sky UK Ltd in a preliminary hearing concerning the Tribunal’s jurisdiction to settle licenses concerning foreign copyrights.
Trade marks & Brands
- Revital v Royal Voluntary Service (settled): Instructed as junior counsel with James Mellor QC in a Trade Mark revocation action at the IPO.
- H&F Upholstery A&J (Trade Mark: Opposition): Instructed as sole counsel in an ongoing Trade Mark opposition at the IPO.
- Maclay, Murray & Spens v Sheriff: assisted during pupillage in preparing evidence and attending the CMC in a trade mark dispute between solicitor firms
- Muthu Hotels MGM (Trade Mark: Opposition)  UKIntelP O-556-17: assisted as a pupil in preparing evidence and skeletons for a trade mark opposition in the IPO.
- Spin Master Ltd v PMS International Group  EWHC 1477 (Pat): assisted during pupillage in preparing for and attending the CMC of this action concerning a registered design for a children’s toy.
Jurisdiction & Remedies
- Conversant Wireless Licensing Technologies v Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd and ors (application – settled): appeared as second junior alongside Thomas Raphael QC and Maxwell Keay in an application for an anti-suit injunction in this ongoing action concerning FRAND licences for mobile telcoms patents.
- Education & awards
- MBiochem, Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry, University of Oxford (2006)(1st)
- DPhil (Oxon) “Transgenic Approaches to Improving Mosquito Population Control” (2010 – 2014)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, Cardiff University (2015)(Distinction)
- BPTC, Cardiff University (2016)(Outstanding; highest overall mark)
- The Stephen Chapman Scholarship, Inner Temple, 2015.
- GDL Exhibition, Inner Temple, 2014.
- Other relevant information
- Winner, Best Written Submission – Oxford International Intellectual Property Moot 2015.
- Shortlisted for the Wellcome Trust/Guardian UK science writer prize, 2012.
- Titley Exhibition in Biochemistry, Trinity College, 2005.
- Journal article
High Court finds no trade mark infringement or passing off in Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc internet ads dispute
A case summary of the High Court’s judgement in Argos Ltd v Argos Systems  EWHC 231 (Ch)
Michael Conway, “High Court finds no trade mark infringement or passing off in Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc internet ads dispute” E.I.P.R. 2017, 39(9), 594-602
Is granting a patent an act of state?
Analysis of the High Court’s consideration of the act of state doctrine in the context of a patent dispute in Chugai v UCB  EWHC 1216 (Pat).
Michael Conway “Is granting a patent an act of state?” The Law of Nations Blog. 13 June 2017
- Professional memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
- IP Bar Society
- Hobbies & interests
In his spare time Michael enjoys hill walking and mountaineering, climbing and cycling.
Contact Michael Conway's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.