Since joining chambers in 2018, Beth has been instructed in matters in the High Court, IPEC (including the IPEC small claims track), the UKIPO and the commercial court in the Queen’s Bench Division.
Beth specialises in all areas of intellectual property law including patents, trade marks, copyright, and design rights, and related areas of contract law, breach of confidence and commercial matters.
Patents & SPCs
- Ceva Sante Animale SA v Bayer Animal Health GMBH – Beth is currently acting as junior to Daniel Alexander QC in this patent action concerning treatment for piglets with coccidiosis.
- Beth has acted as a junior in a patent case involving fire extinguishing technology.
- Beth spent 5 months on secondment in the Patent Department of an international law firm, working on the pre-action phase of global patent litigation involving a medical device patent.
- Howarth Air Technology v Medical Air Technology – Beth was instructed Mark Chacksfield QC’s junior in this medical devices patents case.
- The Eyebag Company v TPC Marketing Ltd et Ors – Beth acted for the defendants in this patent, trade mark and passing off case in the High Court relating to a self-heating eye mask product.
- As a pupil Beth assisted on a number of High Court patent trials, including: Parainan Pearl Shipping v KGJS  EWHC 2628 (Pat), Cantel Medical v Arc  EWHC 345 (Pat) and Liqwd v L’Oreal  EWHC 1394 (Pat).
Copyright & Databases
Beth regularly advises on copyright matters, and has recently advised on the copyright in films, photography, architectural drawings, newspaper articles, music, and in wills.
She is currently acting for the Universal Music Group on a case relating to the infringement of copyright in photographs.
Beth regularly advises members of the National Union of Journalists on queries relating to copyright ownership, infringement and quantum.
- Martin v Kogan Beth was the junior to Ashton Chantrielle in this re-trial as to whether the defendant was a joint-author of the film “Florence Foster Jenkins”
- Barber v Newsquest – Beth acted for the defendant in this case concerning an assessment of quantum relating to copyright infringement.
- Sky v Falzon – Beth recently acted for the Claimant in a case concerning copyright infringement of encrypted Sky Sports programmes.
As a pupil, Beth assisted Jessie Bowhill in preparing for the Moylett v Geldof trial which was listed for 15 days and concerned ownership of the copyright in the hit song “I Don’t Like Mondays”, and assisted Ashton Chantrielle and Simon Malynicz QC in Martin v Kogan  EWHC 2927 (IPEC).
Trade marks & Brands
Beth regularly advises on trade mark and passing off matters in the IPEC, High Court and UKIPO, involving both UK and EU Trade Marks.
She has also worked on a multimillion-pound worldwide freezing injunction and search order in relation to counterfeit goods, and has advised on comparative advertising in trade mark cases.
She has recently obtained two interim injunctions before the applications court both in respect of European trade mark infringement.
- Bitstocks v District Financial et Ors Beth is currently acting for the Claimant as junior to Simon Malynicz QC in this claim for multi-jurisdictional trade marks relating to banks using cryptocurrency.
- University Academy 92 v Brendan Flood et Ors – Beth acted as junior to Charlotte May QC in this trade mark and passing off claim, involving proceedings in the High Court and Trade Mark Registry.
- Fit Kitchen v Scratch – Beth recently acted for the defendant in this trade mark and passing off IPEC trial.
- Hewlett Packard v Digital Devices – Beth is acting for the Claimants in this trade mark and breach of contract case, involving interim applications for summary judgment.
- J Comm Limited v Out In SpA – Beth acted as a junior in this commercial dispute in the QBD in which the Defendant counterclaimed for trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Easy Group v Easy Rimborso – Beth acted for the defendant in this trade mark and passing off case against the Easy Group.
- Debt Collection Bailiffs Ltd v Integra et ors – Beth acted for the Claimants in this passing off case, in which the Claimants obtained summary judgment.
- Saunders v Stiffy’s Shots – Beth acted for the defendant in this IPEC small claims trade mark trial, which resulted in the Claimants’ mark being declared invalid.
Beth regularly advises on matters in the UKIPO, recently including an Appeal to the Appointed Person for the Scottish Stock Exchange and an application for security for costs for Millennium Nails.
Beth regularly advises in design right cases, and those involving a crossover of copyright and design right infringement.
- Brainstorm Ltd v Green Field Toys Ltd – Beth is acting for the Defendant in their defence of breach of contract and counterclaim for infringement of design rights in various toy designs.
- Kojac Fashion Accessories v Peacock Stores – Beth acted for the Defendant in this case involving the overlap of design rights and copyright infringement and the consideration of section 51 of the CDPA.
- Education & awards
- BA (Hons), History and Politics, Mansfield College Oxford (2014)
- Lord Denning Scholarship Award
- Accommodation Award Lincoln’s Inn
- Hardwicke Entrance Scholarship
- BPP Law School Pro Bono Award
- Professional memberships
- Lincoln’s Inn
- Chancery Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Bar Association
- Hobbies & interests
Beth is a keen advocate for access to the bar, and is active in the education department of Lincoln’s Inn. Outside law, she enjoys playing squash and coxing.
Contact Beth Collett's clerks
Whilst barristers have a designated practice management team, all the clerks have the capacity and knowledge to assist in cases involving all counsel.